FREE Case Review (866) 588-0600

Workplace Harassment Lawsuit
(3 Step Guide On How to File One)

If you are facing harassment or discrimination at work, there are certain steps you can take to protect your rights. These actions might help you put a stop to the mistreatment and improve the situation. Even if they don’t, however, taking these steps will preserve your right to sue, if you decide to file a harassment or discrimination lawsuit.
Awards & recognition
C.L. Mike Schmidt Published by C.L. Mike Schmidt
Free Confidential Lawsuit Review
If you or a loved one was injured, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help. Please click the button below for a Free Case Evaluation or call us toll-free 24 hrs/day by dialing (866) 588-0600.

Start My Free Case Review

What is Workplace Harassment?

Workplace harassment involves unwelcome and offensive conduct that is based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability, age, or genetic information. The behavior is not always as easily recognized, as it may be part of a much wider variety of misconduct.

Workplace harassment is best described as any conduct that makes the workplace abusive, uncomfortable, or intimidating. In order to rise to the level of illegality, workplace harassment must be severe, pervasive, and reasonably offensive.

Examples of Workplace Harassment

Examples of workplace harassment include offensive or derogatory jokes, racial or ethnic slurs, pressure for dates or sexual favors, unwelcome comments about a person’s religion or religious garments, or offensive graffiti, pictures, or cartoons.

Related Article: What is a Right-to-Work State?

What to do if You’re the Victim of Workplace Harassment

You should take the following steps if you’ve been the victim of workplace harassment or a hostile work environment:

1. File a complaint with your Human Resources (HR) department. If the offender fails to quit the behavior, you need to make the complaint in writing. Act immediately if you fear for your safety. After you file a complaint with HR, allow them to investigate the matter and resolve the harassment.

2. If the harassment has not ceased at this point, you should hire a lawyer to file an administrative charge with a federal and/or state agency. Filing an administrative charge is not a lawsuit; instead, you are notifying the federal agency about the harassment.

Filing with a federal or state agency and obtaining a right-to-sue letter is a necessary step prior to filing a lawsuit. Without a right-to-sue letter, your lawsuit will automatically be thrown out. Once you file this charge, the agency will notify your employer and then either dismiss, investigate, or request that you and your employer work together to settle or mediate the dispute. It is possible that the agency may file a lawsuit for you, but this only happens in extraordinary circumstances.

3. File a lawsuit – Once the agency has completed its investigation and you have received a right-to-sue letter, you can file a workplace harassment lawsuit. Be aware that there is a short time frame in which you can file the complaint from the date you received the right-to-sue letter. Consult a harassment lawyer immediately to learn more about your legal rights.

Related Articles:

See all related wage dispute lawsuits our attorneys covered so far.

Get a Free Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Lawyers

The Litigation Group at Schmidt & Clark, LLP law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers focusing on plaintiffs’ representation in lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new legal challenges in all 50 states.

If you or a loved one was involved with such matters, you should contact Schmidt & Clark immediately for a free case evaluation. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.

Free Confidential Case Evaluation

Verified 100% Secure SiteTo contact us for a free review of your potential case, please fill out the form below or call us toll free 24 hrs/day by dialing: (866) 588-0600.