FREE Case Review (866) 588-0600

What Is the Punishment for Lying to the Police?
(7 Types of Evidence)

Lying to a police officer is usually a misdemeanor; however, if the false statement was made under oath, it can amount to perjury, which is a felony in most states.
Awards & recognition
C.L. Mike Schmidt Published by C.L. Mike Schmidt
Free Confidential Lawsuit Review
If you or a loved one was injured, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help. Please click the button below for a Free Case Evaluation or call us toll-free 24 hrs/day by dialing (866) 588-0600.

Start My Free Case Review

What is Perjury?

Perjury is the crime of lying under oath. Historically, perjury was defined as lying while testifying in court. However, the law now defines the crime as covering not just trials but also many other proceedings such as grand juries, family law courts, bail hearings, Congressional committee hearings, and civil lawsuit depositions. Sworn statements made to governmental agencies such as the Social Security Administration or in financial affidavits are also covered.

Related Article: Personal Injury & Accidents Lawyer

What is Obstruction of Justice?

18 U.S.C. § 1503 defines obstruction of justice as an act that “corruptly or by threats or force, or by any threatening letter or communication, influences, obstructs, or impedes, or endeavors to influence, obstruct, or impede, the due administration of justice.” A person obstructs justice when he or she has a specific intent to obstruct or interfere with a judicial proceeding.

What is a False Report?

Making a false report is alerting authorities of a crime, knowing that the details of the incident are incorrect or the incident itself did not occur. False reports can be given to a police officer, prosecutor, grand jury, or 911 operator.

Also Read: Party Consent Explained

What is a False Accusation?

A false accusation is a claim or allegation of wrongdoing that is untrue and/or otherwise unsupported by facts. False accusations are also commonly referred to as groundless accusations, unfounded accusations, false allegations, and false claims.

Related Article: 5 Reasons for Retracting a Statement

What is the Punishment for Falsely Accusing Someone?

Giving false information is a misdemeanor that is punishable by up to 6 months in jail, a $1,000 fine, or both. However, if the false information was offered in an effort to evade arrest, additional felony charges are possible.

Read Also: 4 Types of Drug Possession Charges

How Do You Prove Innocence When Falsely Accused?

7 types of evidence that can be used to prove innocence include:

  1. Witness testimony
  2. Phone records
  3. Employment, bank account, or other records
  4. Surveillance camera footage
  5. Phone photos or videos
  6. DNA evidence

Read Also: How Police Handle Anonymous Tips?

Is it Illegal to Lie to the FBI?

The price you could pay for a single false statement made to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) can be steep. This offense is a federal crime, which makes it a felony, meaning a conviction could haunt you for the rest of your life. If you are convicted of making a false statement to the FBI, you could face up to 5 years in federal prison.

Related Articles:

See all related personal injury lawsuits our attorneys covered so far.

Get a Free Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Lawyers

The Litigation Group at Schmidt & Clark, LLP law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new legal challenges in all 50 states.

If you or a loved one was involved with these matters, you should contact our law firm immediately for a free case evaluation. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.

Free Confidential Case Evaluation

Verified 100% Secure SiteTo contact us for a free review of your potential case, please fill out the form below or call us toll free 24 hrs/day by dialing: (866) 588-0600.