FREE Case Review (866) 588-0600

Can You Withdraw a Guilty Plea After Sentencing?
Legally Explained in 2024

Withdrawing a guilty plea after sentencing is a challenging process, as once a sentence has been imposed, that sentence is typically considered final and the legal options for changing or withdrawing a plea are limited.
Awards & recognition
Collen Clark Published by Collen Clark

Schmidt & Clark, LLP is not currently accepting these types of cases and has posted this content for information purposes only. We encourage you to seek a qualified attorney, if you feel you might have a case.

What is the Sentencing Phase in a Court Case?

The sentencing phase in a court case is when the judge determines the appropriate penalty for a defendant who has been found guilty or has pleaded guilty to a crime. In most cases, the sentencing phase follows the trial and comes before the sentence is actually imposed.

The judge has considerable discretion in determining the appropriate sentence, which could include community service, fines, probation, imprisonment, or a combination of these. In some cases, the judge may also sentence the offender to a rehabilitation program or another alternative to incarceration.

What is a Guilty Plea?

According to the Michigan State University College of Law, a guilty plea is an official admission by a defendant in a criminal case that they committed the offense they are charged with [1]. When a defendant pleads guilty, they are acknowledging their responsibility for the crime. Guilty pleas are made voluntarily and are an integral component of the criminal justice process.

What is a Withdrawn Guilty Plea?

A withdrawn guilty plea is when a defendant who had previously entered a guilty plea subsequently motions to retract that plea. It involves the defendant attempting to withdraw his or her admission of guilt before or after sentencing.

This is a difficult process, and success in withdrawing a guilty plea typically depends on a variety of factors, as many courts are cautious in allowing it. The legal system emphasizes finality, and guilty pleas are considered binding admissions.

In most jurisdictions, defendants seeking to withdraw a guilty plea need to file a formal motion, after which a hearing may be held to consider the withdrawal plea. Individuals in this type of situation should seek the advice of a knowledgeable and experienced attorney, as the specific rules and procedures can vary by jurisdiction.

Also Read: Can a Plea Deal be Reversed?

Cases Where a Guilty Plea May Be Withdrawn After Sentencing

There are specific rules that determine whether a court will allow a guilty plea to be withdrawn after sentencing. Common reasons could be considered include:

  • Ineffective Assistance of Counsel - If the defendant believes their legal representation was inadequate during the trial.
  • New Evidence - If new evidence is produced that impacts the case which was not available when the plea was made.
  • Coercion or Duress - If the defendant can prove that they pleaded guilty under conditions of duress, coercion, or other improper influence.
  • Failure to Understand Consequences - If the defendant can demonstrate that they did not fully understand the consequences of the guilty plea, such as the potential sentence.

In conclusion, withdrawing a guilty plea after sentencing hinges on stringent legal criteria, primarily revolving around proving significant justifications such as ineffective counsel, newly discovered evidence, coercion, or a misunderstanding of the plea's consequences. Each of these grounds requires substantial evidence to convince a court to reconsider its initial ruling and potentially allow a plea withdrawal.

Related Articles:

See all personal injury and accident lawsuits our lawyers have covered so far.

Get a Free Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Lawyers

The Litigation Group at Schmidt & Clark, LLP is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focuses on the representation of plaintiffs in lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new legal challenges in all 50 states.

If you or a loved one was involved with these matters, you should contact our law firm immediately for a free case evaluation. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.