You may be entitled to recover compensation and our legal team can help. Please click the button below for a Free Case Evaluation or call us toll-free 24 hrs/day for legal advice by dialing (866) 588-0600.
Recalled Aromatherapy Spray Linked to Two Deaths: CPSC
According to a CPSC Recall Notice , this action affects the following scents of Walmart gem room spray:
- 84140411420 Better Homes and Gardens BHG Gem Room Spray Lavender & Chamomile
- 84140411421 Better Homes and Gardens BHG Gem Room Spray with Gemstones Lemon and Mandarin
- 84140411422 Better Homes and Gardens BHG Gem Room Spray Aromatherapy with Gemstones Lavender
- 84140411423 Better Homes and Gardens BHG Gem Room Spray Aromatherapy with Gemstones Peppermint
- 84140411424 Better Homes and Gardens Infused Aromatherapy with Gemstones Lime & Eucalyptus
- 84140411425 Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gem Room Spray Sandalwood and Vanilla
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has confirmed bacteria found in a recalled aromatherapy in a Georgia melioidosis patient’s home genetically matches the bacterial strains in the patient, and three other patients in Kansas, Minnesota, Texas and Georgia," CPSC said. "The bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei causes melioidosis, a condition that is difficult to diagnose and can be fatal. The Georgia and Kansas patients died."
This recall was initiated after the CDC took samples from a bottle of Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones Lavender & Chamomile scent from the home of the Georgia victim and found the presence of the deadly bacteria.
Subsequent testing indicated that the genetic fingerprint of the bacteria in the bottle matched those of the bacteria identified in the 4 patients. This allowed the CDC to confirm the spray or one of its ingredients caused the 4 melioidosis infections.
The recalled aromatherapy spray was sold at about 55 Walmart stores nationwide and online from February 2021 through October 2021 for about $4. “Better Homes and Gardens Aromatherapy” is printed on the label on the front of the 5-ounce glass bottle.
Also called Whitmore's disease, Melioidosis can cause symptoms on a case-by-case basis. The following characteristics are typical, depending on the location of the infection:
- Local skin infection: Fever, muscle aches, ulcer, nodule, or skin abscess.
- Lung infection: High fever, headache, chest pain, loss of appetite and weight loss (anorexia), and general muscle soreness.
- Bloodstream infection: Fever, headache, respiratory distress, abdominal discomfort, localized pain, muscle tenderness, or disorientation.
- Disseminated infection: Fever, neurological symptoms (e.g., altered mental status, headache, seizure, extremity weakness), muscle or joint pain, weight loss, or stomach or chest pain. Abscesses in the liver, lung, spleen, and prostate are often observed in patients diagnosed with disseminated infections; brain abscesses may also be seen.
CDC Recommendation on Gem Room Spray Lemon, Gem Room Spray Lime
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urges anyone who purchased recalled aromatherapy spray to take the following steps:
- Stop using this product immediately. Do not open the bottle. Do not attempt to throw away in regular trash or dispose of the bottle.
- Double bag the bottle in clean, clear zip-top resealable bags and place in a small cardboard box. Return the bagged and boxed product to a Walmart store.
- Wash sheets or linens that the product may have been sprayed on using normal laundry detergent and dry completely in a hot dryer, bleach can be used if desired.
- Wipe down counters and surfaces that might have been exposed to the spray with an undiluted disinfectant cleaner.
- Minimize handling of the product and wash hands thoroughly after handling the bottle or linens.
Anyone concerned about a potential adverse reaction to Aromatherapy Gardens Lavender Spray should seek medical care immediately.
This recall began on November 2, 2021.
- Burkholderia Pseudomallei Infection Lawsuit
- Walmart Contigo Water Bottle Recall Lawsuit
- Fabuloso Cleaner Lawsuit
- CVS Nasal Spray Recall Lawsuit
See the other product liability cases we've taken on.
Get a Free Walmart Aromatherapy Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Lawyers
The Product Liability Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Walmart Aromatherapy Lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new confirmed cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you or a loved one has been harmed by Walmart Aromatherapy Spray Lawsuit, you should contact Schmidt & Clark lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a Walmart Better Homes & Gardens Aromatherapy Spray Lawsuit and our law firm can help.