Table Of Contents
What’s the Problem?
According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), this recall affects:
- Summit Racing 3-Ton Jack Stands, part number SUM-918005
- Summit Racing 6-Ton Jack Stands, part number SUM-918006
The jack stands were manufactured with a ratchet bar that may fail during use, allowing the vehicle to fall without warning.
“Under load, the stand may drop suddenly, increasing the risk of injury to people near or under a lifted vehicle,” NHTSA said.
Autosales Inc. is notifying owners and Summit Racing will provide a refund and an additional $25.00 gift certificate, upon return of the stand or evidence of destruction.
This recall began in January 2021.
Read Also: Hyper Tough Jack Stand Litigation
How to Use a Jack Stand Safely
To reduce your risk of being injured in a jackstand accident, use the following safety tips:
- Always jack up a vehicle on solid, level ground. Never do so on gravel, dirt, or incline.
- Only use the jack that comes with your vehicle for changing a tire. Though it’s fine for side-of-the-road emergencies, these types of jacks are not made for working under your car.
- All jack stands come with a weight limit — make sure yours is capable of lifting your car’s weight.
- Check your car’s owner manual for safe jacking points and never lift a vehicle by putting the jack under the engine, gearbox, or any plastic component.
- Once the vehicle is lifted, use wheel chocks to keep it from rolling.
- Gently shake the vehicle after it’s jacked up to ensure that it’s secure before you get under it.
- Consider car ramps as a safe alternative to jacks or jack stands. They provide large, solid points of contact that are unlikely to fail.
- Walmart Jack Stands Case
- Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recall Suits
- Defective Pittsburgh Jack Stands Recall
See other product liability cases we’re currently taking.
Do I Have a Summit Racing Jack Stands Lawsuit?
The Products Liability Litigation Group at Schmidt & Clark, LLP law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Summit Racing Jack Stands Lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new injury and death cases in all 50 states.
If you or a loved one was injured, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.