Table Of Contents
Is It Ok to Take Prilosec Long-Term?
Related Article: Prilosec Lawsuit Update
Can You Take Omeprazole for Years?
As stated above, omeprazole, the active ingredient in Prilosec, is only intended for short-term treatment of heartburn, non-erosive gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and other gastrointestinal conditions. Long-term use is only advised for patients with rare medical conditions that cause hyper-secretion of stomach acid.
What Is the Safest Antacid to Take Long-Term?
Are There Natural Remedies for GERD and Heartburn?
Various non-medical and natural alternatives to Prilosec and other PPIs have been used to treat acid reflux. The following naturopathic treatments can be appealing because of the reduced risk of adverse side effects:
- Probiotics: Studies have found that probiotics can help treat symptoms of GERD and acid reflux by balancing the esophageal and gut microbiome.
- Herbal Remedies: Some patients use herbal remedies including ginger root, chamomile, slippery elm, marshmallow, and licorice to treat heartburn and GERD. However, these remedies have not been backed up by clinical studies.
- Aloe Vera: A recent study found that aloe vera was safe and well tolerated for treating acid reflux. The study’s authors concluded that aloe was a safe, effective treatment for GERD symptoms.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Anecdotal evidence has found that apple cider vinegar may improve GERD symptoms in certain patients. However, this remedy has not been documented scientifically.
- Baking Soda and Chewing Gum: By neutralizing stomach acid, baking soda may offer temporary relief for symptoms of GERD, and chewing gum after meals may reduce stomach acid levels.
- Acupuncture: Has been used as an alternative method to reduce stomach acid, improve the function of the lower esophageal sphincter, and relieve the symptoms of heartburn.
- Hypnotherapy: Can be used to promote relaxation and focused attention, and is sometimes used to treat functional bowel disorders such as GERD.
- Does Nexium Raise Blood Pressure?
- Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) Litigation
- Are Prilosec and Omeprazole The Same Thing?
See all related dangerous drug lawsuits our lawyers have covered.
Get a Free Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Lawyers
The Pharmaceutical Litigation Group at Schmidt & Clark, LLP law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the legal representation of plaintiffs in proton pump inhibitor lawsuits. We are handling potential Prevacid class action lawsuits nationwide and currently represent clients of Prevacid-induced injury cases in all 50 states.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation: Again, if you had kidney damage after taking a heartburn medication, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to financial compensation by filing a Prevacid class action lawsuit and our lawyers can help.