FREE Case Review (866) 588-0600

How to Get a Work Permit in California? (All Requirements You Need)

Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work, commonly known as a work permit, which indicates the duties and location where the work will be done as well as the number of hours the minor may work.
Awards & recognition
C.L. Mike Schmidt Published by C.L. Mike Schmidt

Schmidt & Clark, LLP is not currently accepting these types of cases and has posted this content for information purposes only. We encourage you to seek a qualified attorney, if you feel you might have a case.

How Do You Get a Work Permit in California?

A Permit to Employ and Work is typically issued by an authorized person at the minor's school. During summer months or when school is not in session, the work permit is obtained from the superintendent of the school district in which the child lives.

What are the Requirements for a Work Permit in California?

Minors under the age of 18 must attend school in order to obtain a work permit. If a student graduates from high school before reaching the age of 18, they no longer need a work permit. If a student passes the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or the G.E.D. before turning 18, they no longer need a work permit.

Related Article: Is California a Right-to-Work State?

What GPA Do You Need For a Work Permit in California?

Minors applying for a work permit in California must have a GPA of 1.6 or higher. Children with a GPA under that will not be issued a work permit.

Do All Minors Need a Work Permit in California?

Except in rare circumstances listed in the Child Labor Law Booklet, all minors under 18 years of age employed in California must have a permit to work. Prior to permitting a minor to work, employers must possess a valid Permit to Employ and Work.

Also Read: How Much Does A Waitress Make An Hour Without Tips?

What is the Youngest Age a Person Can Get a Work Permit in California?

Work permits are only issued to minors between the ages of 12 and 18 years of age in California. Children under the age of 12 are probably being employed in the entertainment industry. In these cases, permission to work must be issued by the State Labor Commissioner through the Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.

Wage and Hour Issues for Minors

Minors under the age of 18 must be paid at least the minimum wage and applicable overtime rates, and must be provided with all legally required meal and rest breaks. High school graduates or those with a GED must be paid commensurate with adults when they perform the same type of work. This includes wage rates that are above the minimum wage.

Related Articles:

See all related personal injury lawsuits our attorneys covered so far.

Get a Free Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Lawyers

The  Litigation Group at Schmidt & Clark, LLP law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new legal challenges in all 50 states.

If you or a loved one was injured, you should contact our law firm immediately for a free case evaluation. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.