Real Estate needs lawyers as much as any other industry. After all, buying and selling property involves a lot of money and carries a lot of responsibility. So, how much do real estate lawyers really make?
I have worked with real estate lawyers for many years and can tell you that they make a very good living. But, like any other profession, there is a wide range of salaries they earn.
Summary of the Key Findings
- Salaries for real estate attorneys can vary depending on the industry.
- Some real estate lawyers work for the government. They use their expertise to help municipalities and counties with building and zoning laws.
- People involved in commercial real estate often find a job in large firms.
Average Salaries of Real Estate Lawyers
The salary of a real estate lawyer will depend on many factors, including their experience, the size of the law firm they work for, the location of the firm, and the type of clients they represent.
That being said, most real estate lawyers earn between $45,000 and $155,000 per year, but on average they earn about $84,000 per year .
Of course, there are always outliers. For instance, some real estate lawyers who work for the government or large firms can earn much more than that. And conversely, some real estate lawyers who work for smaller firms or in less expensive areas may earn less.
As with any profession, the salary of a real estate lawyer will vary depending on the industry they work in. Here are some examples:
- Professional Field: $99,616
- Finance Field: $97,998
- Energy Field: $89,539
- Real Estate Field: $89,038
- Retail Field: $73,056
However, a real estate lawyer's salary can also differ based on the state they practice in.
- What is a Quiet Title Lawsuit?
- How to File a Partition Lawsuit?
- What Is an Abstract of Title in Real Estate?
3 States with the Highest Real Estate Lawyer Salaries
The top three states with the highest lawyer salaries are:
- Rochester, New York, has the highest average salary for real estate lawyers, at $94,745 per year.
- Framingham, Massachusetts, where the average salary is $92,112 per year.
- San Francisco, California, comes in at third place with an average salary of $84,169 per year.
As you can see, all of these states have salaries that are well above the national average. However, other states include:
- Cleveland, Ohio - $84,160
- Wilmington, Delaware - $83,405
- Baltimore, Maryland - $80,688
- Washington, The District of Columbia - $78,686
Related Articles: Highest paid Types of Lawyers
3 States with the Lowest Real Estate Lawyer Salaries
The top three states with the lowest lawyer salaries are:
- Charlotte, North Carolina, where real estate lawyers get paid below average at $57,081 per year.
- Alpharetta, Georgia, where lawyers earn an average salary of $55,999 per year.
- Jacksonville, Florida, where the average salary is $53,782 per year.
As you can see, the average salaries in these states are all well below the national average for real estate lawyers. However, there are a few other states where lawyer salaries are also low, including:
- Birmingham, Alabama - $52,258
- Nashville, Tennessee - $51,737
- Louisville, Kentucky - $50,711
“The majority of Real Estate Attorneys are located in NY, New York and GA, Atlanta while Real Estate Attorneys are most in-demand in New York, NY.” - Zippia's report on estimated demographics and statistics for Real Estate Attorneys in the US
Where do real estate lawyers make the most money?
Real estate lawyers make the most money in Rochester, New York, where the average salary is $94,745 per year.
How much does a real estate closing attorney cost?
A real estate closing attorney can cost between $500 and $1,500, depending on the location and expertise.
Why would you need a real estate lawyer?
You need a real estate lawyer to help you buy or sell a property, help you with a lease agreement, a construction project, zoning issues, or even help you with any other legal issue related to your home or property.
The salary of real estate lawyers ranges can vary a lot depending on many things. Education, certifications, skills, and how long you have been doing your job are some things that can affect how much money you make. Most importantly, the state you practice in can also have an impact on your salary.
If you are confused about what to do or where to start with your legal issue, don't hesitate to contact us for help at Schmidt & Clark.