What's the Problem?
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), this recall affects
- 6500 watt and 8000 watt Generac portable generators with unit type numbers XT8000E, XT8000EFI, GP6500, GP6500E, GP8000E
- HomeLink 6500E portable generators
- DR models PRO 6500M and PRO 6500E portable generators
"An unlocked handle can pinch consumers’ fingers against the generator frame when the generator is moved, posing finger amputation and crushing hazards," CPSC said.
The generators have gasoline-powered engines that are used to generate electricity for use as backup power. The portable generators have two-wheels and a single, U-shaped, two-grip, flip-up pin-lock handle to help move the generator.
The recalled generators were sold online and at major home improvement and hardware stores nationwide including Ace Hardware, Amazon, Blain’s Farm & Fleet, City Electric Supply, Costco, Do it Best, Fastenal, Home Depot, Lowe’s Stores, Napa Auto Parts, Northern Tool & Equipment, Orgill, Power Equipment Direct, Ravitsky Bros., True Value, and W.W. Grainger from June 2013 through June 2021 for between $790 and $1,480.
If you purchased a generator that is affected by this recall, you should stop using it immediately, unless the locking pin has been inserted to secure the handle in place before and after moving the generator, and contact Generac for a free repair kit.
This recall began on July 29, 2021.
Other Generator Recalls
- Echo Generator Recall: July 14, 2021 - One World Technologies Inc. recalled about 3,700 ECHO EGi-2300 Watt Generators which can overheat, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers.
- Powerhouse Generator Recall: February 24, 2021 - Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. recalled about 3,640 Powerhorse 13000ES Portable Generators that have a wiring error which can result in an electrical shock to users.
- Westinghouse Generator Recall: September 17, 2020 - MWE Investments recalled potentially defective Westinghouse Dual Fuel Portable Generators that can leak fuel, posing a fire and burn hazard.
- Honda Generator Recall: March 17, 2020 - American Honda Motor Company Inc. recalled about 340,000 portable generators which contain a potentially defective inverter assembly that can short circuit in the presence of salt water
Do I Have an Generac Generator Lawsuit?
The Products Liability Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Generac Generator Lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new injury cases in all 50 states.
If you or a loved one was injured by a recalled generator, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.