Did you or a loved one develop a blood clot after taking the anticoagulant drug Xarelto (generic: rivaroxaban)? This drug is prescribed to reduce the risk of blood clots and stroke in patients who have recently undergone hip or knee replacement surgery; however, recent studies have found that Xarelto may actually cause life-threatening blood clots in some users.
Free Confidential Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one developed a blood clot after taking Xarelto, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit and our lawyers can help.
What is a Blood Clot?
Normally, blood clots develop anywhere you have an injury to stop the blood from flowing. Plasma is the liquid part of the blood and platelets are a kind of blood cell. Plasma and platelets work together to thicken the blood and make clots.
In some patients, blood clots will develop inside a blood vessel. This can happen even when no injury occurs. Clots can also fail to dissolve after the injury has healed and they are no longer needed. If not diagnosed and treated, these situations can result in severe, potentially life-threatening complications.
Complications of a Blood Clot
Blood clots can develop in any blood vessel in the body. It they travel through the circulatory system and become trapped in the lungs, heart or brain, these migrations can lead to serious complications including:
- Heart Attack or Stroke – Inhibited blood flow to the brain or heart can cause a stroke or heart attack. These events can be deadly if they are not treated right away.
- Pulmonary Embolism (PE) – A blood clot that gets stuck in a pulmonary artery within 1 of the lungs is referred to as a pulmonary embolism. This can cause low blood oxygen levels and damage to the lungs and/or other vital organs.
- Kidney Failure – Blood clots in the kidneys can lead to kidney failure over time if they are not diagnosed and treated. Fluids and waste products can accumulate, causing complications such as high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) – Occurs when a blood clot develops in one of the body’s deep veins (most often the legs or arms). DVTs can cause symptoms at the site, but can also lead to more severe complications if they travel to the heart, lungs or brain.
- Pregnancy Complications – When blood clots form in pregnant women, they can result in a miscarriage, preeclampsia, stillbirth, or other complications to the unborn child.
Do I Have a Xarelto Blood Clot Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Drug Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Xarelto Lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new blood clot cases in all 50 states.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation: Again, if you were injured by Xarelto side effects, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a class action suit and we can help.