Is There Oil in Virginia?
No appreciable crude oil reserves have been found in Virginia, and the state only has a very small amount of crude oil production, all of which comes from wells in 2 counties in the southwestern part of the state. There are no oil refineries in Virginia and no major crude pipelines across the state.
Related Article: Oil Field Accident Lawsuit Update
Are There Oil Rigs Off the Coast of Virginia?
The Virginia General Assembly in 2020 passed a bill banning offshore drilling off the coast of Virginia. The legislation effectively outlawed oil and gas drilling and related infrastructure off of Virginia’s coast. The law also removed prior state support from any federal efforts to permit offshore oil drilling or exploration.
Related Article: Oil Rig Injury Accident Attorney
Virginia Energy Profile Facts
- In 2022, Virginia ports handled more than one-third of U.S. coal exports, the largest share handled by any state in the nation. The Port of Hampton Roads in the Norfolk Customs District is America's biggest coal export center.
- In 2022, natural gas accounted for nearly 60% of Virginia's total electricity net generation, nuclear supplied 30%, renewables provided 9%, and coal-fueled barely 3%.
- The Bath County Pumped Storage Station is the largest pumped-storage hydroelectric plant in the United States and the 2nd-largest in the world.
- Virginia's Plantation Pipeline delivers refined products throughout the Southeast before reaching its final delivery point in northern Virginia.
- In 2022, about 84% of Virginia’s natural gas production came from coalbeds, and the state accounted for over 10% of U.S. coalbed methane production.
Occupational Fatalities in Virginia for 2023
The number of fatalities in Virginia investigated by the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI) decreased slightly in 2023 compared to the previous year, from 57 to 54. These figures do not include COVID-19 deaths.
The primary causes of workplace death in Virginia were employees struck by objects, equipment, or vehicles, being caught by, caught in, or caught between objects, equipment, or vehicles, and falls. DOLI's efforts to reduce the incidence of fatalities include the delivery of safety messages in multiple languages.
- Washington Oil Field Accident and Injury Lawyer
- West Virginia Oil Field Accident and Injury Attorney
- Wisconsin Oil Field Accident and Injury Lawsuit
See all related personal injury and accident lawsuits our lawyers covered so far.
Get a Free Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Virginia Oil Field Accident and Injury Lawyers
The personal injury lawyers at Schmidt & Clark, LLP have experience dealing with the rights of American oilfield workers, and we are one of the only firms willing to handle oilfield workplace accidents in Virginia and throughout the entire United States.
Again, suppose you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an oilfield accident in Virginia. In that case, you should contact our oil field accident lawyers immediately by using the form below or calling our law firm toll-free 24 hrs/day by dialing (866) 588-0600 to schedule a free case review and legal options.
Clients may be able to recover fair compensation for medical expenses from an oil company in a lawsuit and a personal injury lawyer can help.