Depending on the type and stage of the disease, Victoza-induced pancreatitis can be treated in a number of different ways, and with a variety of different drugs. People suffering from pancreatitis are usually first admitted to a hospital, where the pancreas can be examined and treated by a medical team. Methods of treatment may include fasting, pain medications, IV fluids, and surgical intervention.
Free Victoza Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after taking Victoza, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit against the manufacturer of Victoza and we can help.
What treatments and drugs are used for pancreatitis?
Individuals suffering from Victoza-induced pancreatitis should be taken to a hospital where the inflammation of the pancreas can be brought under control and the patient can be made as comfortable as possible. Subsequent methods of treatment may include:
- Fasting – Patients are typically advised to stop eating for a period to allow their pancreas time to recover. Once the inflammation subsides, the patient may resume drinking clear liquids and eating bland foods.
- Pain medications – Commonly prescribed to patients experiencing serious pain caused by pancreatitis.
- IV fluids – As the body needs copious amounts of fluid to repair the pancreas, the person may become dehydrated. To avoid this, patients may receive additional fluids intravenously.
Once inflammation in the pancreas has been brought under control, treatment can shift to the underlying cause of the disease. The doctor is likely to recommend discontinuing Victoza in favor of another diabetes medication with fewer potential complications. Other methods of treatment include:
- Bile duct blockage removal – In people whose pancreatitis is caused by blocked bile ducts, an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) may be used. This device can help in diagnosing problems with the pancreas and making repairs.
- Gallbladder removal surgery (cholecystectomy) – In cases where the disease is caused by gallstones, a cholecystectomy may be performed to extract the gallbladder.
- Pancreas surgery – Performed to drain fluid or remove necrotized pancreas tissue from the patient.
- Enzyme supplements – Prescribed to help the body digest nutrients from food. Supplements typically come in pill form and are taken at meal time.
- Dietary changes – May be beneficial in accommodating the unique nutritional requirements needed for patients suffering from pancreatitis.
Do I Have a Victoza Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Drug Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Victoza lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new Victoza pancreatic cancer cases in all 50 states.
Free Victoza Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after taking Victoza, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a Victoza suit and we can help.