Studies have shown that a large number of truck drivers are under the influence of drugs and alcohol on our nation’s roads. Intoxicated and exhausted truckers can lead to catastrophic consequences.
Free Semi Truck Accident Case Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a big rig truck, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.
What’s the problem?
Many truck drivers use controlled substances to help them stay awake during their long trips along our nation’s highways. They have rushed time frames, and after an extended number of hours and countless miles on the roads, driver fatigue takes over, leaving the trucker defenseless against their exhaustion. Exhaustion leads truckers to drug use, and intoxication of any degree can cause serious consequences.
TheNational Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) & the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) investigated fatal truck driving accidents and performed comprehensive drug screening on the bodies of deceased truck drivers. The study found that out of 168 cases:
- Sixty-seven percent of the drivers had detectable traces of one or more drugs
- Thirty-three percent of the drivers had detectable blood concentrations of psychoactive drugs or alcohol
- Thirteen percent of the drivers had traces of cannabinoids or tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
- Thirteen percent of the drivers had traces of ethanol or alcohol
- Eight percent of the drivers had traces of Cocaine or benzoylecgonine
- Seven percent of the drivers had traces of amphetamine or methamphetamine
- Seven percent of the drivers had traces of phenylpropanolamine, ephedrine, or pseudoephedrine
The safety board called the study the most complete investigation ever conducted on drug and alcohol use in the interstate trucking industry. NTSB officials also claim the study offers the most comprehensive substantiation of the dangers of drug and alcohol use by truck drivers.
Do I have a Trucking Accident Lawsuit?
The Personal Injury Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus exclusively on the representation of plaintiffs in trucking accident lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new cases in all 50 states.