CPSC Urges Parents to Inspect and Secure TVs, Furniture, and Appliances in Child-Proofing Efforts
September 28, 2010 – This month, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging families to take a moment to inspect and secure unsecured and unstable TVs, furniture, and appliances to prevent tipover accidents.
According to the CPSC, Between 2000 and 2008, there were nearly 200 tipover related deaths involving children eight years old and younger. Nearly all of these fatalities (93%) involved children five years old and younger. More than 16,000 children five years old and younger were treated in emergency rooms because of injuries associated with TVs, furniture, and appliance tip-overs.
Typically, injuries and deaths occur when children climb onto, fall against or pull themselves up on television stands, shelves, bookcases, dressers, desks, chests and appliances. In some cases, televisions placed on top of furniture will tip over and cause a child to suffer traumatic and sometimes fatal injuries.
Safety Tips to prevent Tipping Injures
- Furniture should be stable on its own. For added security, anchor chests, dressers, TV stands, bookcases and entertainment units to the floor or attach them to a wall.
- Place TVs on a sturdy, low-rise base. Avoid flimsy shelves.
- Push the TV as far back on its stand as possible.
- Place electrical cords out of a child’s reach and teach kids not to play with them.
- Keep remote controls and other attractive items off the TV stand so kids won’t be tempted to grab for them and risk knocking the TV over.
- Make sure free-standing ranges and stoves are installed with anti-tip brackets.
Do I have a Tip Over Injury Accident Lawsuit?
The Personal Injury & Product Liability Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in tip-over accident lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new cases in all 50 states.
Free Tip-over Injury Accident Case Evaluation: If your child or other loved one has been injured or killed as a result of a tipping hazard, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.