February 15, 2018 – The recall affects St. Jude Fortify, Unify, and Assura (including Quadra) ICDs and Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Defibrillators (CRT-Ds), FDA said. Recalled defibrillators were distributed between February 2010 and October 2016.
Free Confidential Lawsuit Evaluation: If you had replacement surgery after receiving a St. Jude defibrillator, or if a loved one died after being implanted with an ICD, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit and our lawyers can help.
What is an Implantable Cardiac Defibrillator (ICD)?
ICDs and CRT-Ds are used to treat patients with heart failure or abnormal heart rhythms. Defibrillators are implanted in the chest with a wire “lead” that delivers an electric shock which restores normal heart rhythm when the device detects an abnormally slow or dangerously fast heartbeat.
What’s the Problem?
The recall was issued in August 2017, after it was found that a defective battery design in St. Jude defibrillators could cause the battery to fail with little or no advance warning. If a defibrillator battery failure were to occur and the patient was not taken to a hospital immediately, his or her life would be in danger of a severe, potentially fatal cardiac event, according to the FDA.
Which St. Jude Defibrillators are Being Recalled?
- Fortify VR: Model No(s). CD1231-40, CD1231-40Q
- Fortify ST VR: Model No(s). CD1241-40, CD1241-40Q
- Fortify Assura VR: Model No(s). CD1257-40, CD1257-40Q, CD1357-40C
- Fortify Assura ST VR: Model No(s). CD1263-40, CD1263-40Q, CD1363-40C, CD1363-40Q
- Fortify DR: Model No(s). CD2231-40, CD2231-40Q
- Fortify ST DR: Model No(s). CD2241-40, CD2241-40Q
- Fortify Assura DR: Model No(s). CD2257-40, CD2257-40Q, CD2357-40C, CD2357-40Q
- Fortify Assura ST DR: Model No(s). CD2263-40, CD2363-40C, CD2363-40Q
- Unify: Model No(s). CD3231-40, CD3231-40Q
- Unify Quadra: Model No(s). CD3249-40, CD3249-40Q
- Unify Assura: Model No(s). CD3257-40, CD3357-40C, CD3357-40Q
- Quadra Assura: Model No(s). CD3265-40, CD3265-40Q, CD3365-40C, CD3365-40Q
- Quadra Assura MP: Model No(s). CD3269-40, CD3269-40Q, CD3369-40C
Do I have a St. Jude Defibrillator Lawsuit?
The Medical Device Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in St. Jude defibrillator recall lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new replacement surgery and death cases in all 50 states.
Free Drug Lawsuit Evaluation: Again, if you had replacement surgery after receiving a St. Jude defibrillator, or if a loved one died after being implanted with an ICD, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.