Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents are the second leading cause of injuries around the country. Often these injuries and deaths are caused by a dangerous or hazardous condition on someone else’s property. An injury or death from a fall that is caused by a hazardous condition on another person’s property may entitle the victim or the victim’s family to compensation.
Free Slip & Fall Injury Accident Case Evaluation: If your slip and fall accident was due to negligence on the part of a property owner, operator, or manager, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.
Table Of Contents
What’s the problem?
“Slip & fall” is a term used for a personal injury case in which a person slips or trips and falls, and is injured on someone else’s property.
These cases usually fall under the broader category of cases known as “premises liability” claims, because slip and fall accidents usually occur on property (or “premises”) owned or maintained by someone else, and the owner or possessor of the property may be held legally responsible.
Related Article: Vicarious Liability in Tort Law
Types of Slip & Fall Accidents
There are four generalized categories under which fall down accidents are grouped:
- Trip-and-fall accidents – where there is a foreign object in the walking path – like a stack of books in a walkway that is normally clear
- Stump-and-fall accidents – where there is an impediment in the walking surface – like a power cord that runs between two cubicles that wasn’t there previously
- Step-and-fall accidents – where there is an unexpected failure or hole in the walking surface, such as a missing manhole cover or utility cover in the sidewalk
- Slip-and-fall accidents – in which the interface of the shoe and the floor fails – you slip and fall on someone’s wet or greasy floor and there are no warning signs posted anywhere.
Related Article: When Can Lifeguard Be Held Liable for Pool Drowning?
What to do after a Slip & Fall Accident
The first thing you will have to do after a slip and fall accident is to fill out an accident report. Make sure you only fill out an accident report if you can have a copy of it. An accident report should have the following information:
- Description and location of the slip and fall accident
- Contact information for anyone that witnessed the accident and/or the conditions that caused the fall
- Any other relevant information such as lighting, weather, or hidden hazards
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, you should seek medical help right away as only an experienced doctor will be able to diagnose your injuries and treat them accordingly. The next thing you should do is hire an experienced personal injury lawyer.
- Amusement Park Accident Lawsuit
- Most Common Injuries from Falling Down the Stairs
- Slip and Fall Accident California
See all related personal injury and accident lawsuits our attorneys covered so far.
Do I have a Slip & Fall Injury Accident Lawsuit?
The Personal Injury & Premises Liability Litigation Group at Schmidt & Clark, LLP law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus exclusively on the representation of plaintiffs in slip & fall injury accident lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new cases in all 50 states.