Update: 3 Priests Added to List of Molesters with San Diego Ties
August 2, 2019 - Facts that came to light Thursday in Manhattan, New York, have sent shockwaves through religious communities across the nation - at least 3 of the 310 priests from the Archdiocese of New York “credibly accused” of molesting children had worked or lived in San Diego, California, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune .
Free Confidential Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been the victim of sexual abuse by a priest or other member of the clergy in San Diego, California, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit and our lawyers can help.
What’s the problem?
Two of the accused child molestors, the Reverends John Dennis Mitchell and Edward Augustine Sheehy, have passed away while a third, the Rev. Donald G. Timone, worked in San Diego County as recently as 2018, the Union-Tribune found.
In at least one case, the abuse reportedly happened in San Diego. Investigators are continuing to scour public records in order to bring additional perpetrators to justice.
List of Clerics Accused of Sexual Abuse w/ San Diego Ties
- Reverend John Dennis Mitchell - Accused of sexually abusing a minor in or around 1969, while working at Los Angeles’ St. John the Apostle Church. He later served as a chaplain at Mercy Hospital from 1978 through 1980. He died in 1998.
- Reverend Edward Augustine Sheehy - Accused of molesting children in San Diego from 1955 to 1957, while he was working at the Old St. Mary’s Cathedral in San Francisco. He died in 1988.
- Reverend Donald G. Timone - Accused of sexually abusing a child between 1966 and 1970, when he was at St. Joseph’s parish in Millbrook, New York. He is still alive.
Can I File a Class Action?
Although Schmidt & Clark, LLP, is a nationally recognized class action firm, we have decided against this type of litigation when it comes to San Diego priest sexual abuse claims. Our lawyers feel that if there is a successful resolution to these cases, individual suits, not class actions will be the best way to get maximum payouts to our clients.
If you’ve been injured by a San Diego priest or other member of the clergy, we know you’ve suffered emotionally and economically, and want to work with you personally to obtain the maximum compensation for the damages caused by your injuries. Contact us today to learn more about your legal rights.
- Penn State Sexual Assault Case
- Penn State's Football Coach Jerry Sandusky Sex Assault Case
- Ohio State Sexual Molestation Case
- New York Sexual Molestation Case
See the other sexual molestation cases we've taken on.
Do I Have a San Diego Priest Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?
The Sexual Abuse Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in San Diego priest sexual abuse lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you or a loved one has been the victim of sexual abuse by a priest or other member of the clergy in San Diego, California, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.