Have you or a loved one been harmed by Roundup weed killer? You're not alone. Thousands of people across the country have filed lawsuits against the manufacturer, Monsanto.
If you're looking for a Washington Roundup lawyer, you've come to the right place. At Schmidt & Clark, LLP, we're dedicated to fighting for the rights of Roundup victims. We offer a free initial consultation, so call us today to learn more about your legal rights.
Why You Should Call Schmidt & Clark
- Because litigation is complex, it is vital to have a team of experienced attorneys on your side. Our firm will provide the most comprehensive representation possible to get the best possible outcome for your case.
- The attorneys at our firm have expertise in handling product liability claims. We will put our dedication to work for you to secure the compensation you deserve.
- We have no fear of going up against the big corporations and their armies of lawyers. We fight with all our resources and knowledge so that you can focus on your health and recovery.
Related Article: Monsanto Roundup Lawsuit Update
How Roundup Can Hurt You
Glyphosate is a chemical that was first introduced in 1974 by Monsanto. It is the active ingredient in Roundup, a popular weed killer used on farms, golf courses, and home gardens. Glyphosate works by inhibiting a critical enzyme that is essential for plants to grow.
While glyphosate effectively kills weeds, it has also been linked to increased cancer risk. In fact, the International Agency for Research on Cancer of the World Health Organization has classified it as a probable human carcinogen.
This was based on studies showing that people with glyphosate exposure are more likely to develop cancer, specifically non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
People who have the greatest increased risk of developing cancer after exposure to glyphosate are farmers, agricultural workers, workers in commercial nurseries, home gardeners, and garden center workers.
The health risks are higher for those who used Roundup regularly or have been exposed to high levels of glyphosate.
Symptoms of non-Hodgkin lymphoma include fatigue, weight loss, chest pain, night sweats, and swollen lymph nodes. You should see a doctor immediately if you've been exposed to glyphosate and developed these symptoms.
What You Need for a Lawsuit
To be successful in a lawsuit, you will need:
- Proof that you were exposed to Roundup and you used it correctly. This can be through medical records, witness testimony, or product labels.
- Evidence that you have suffered some harm due to your Roundup exposure. This typically requires a diagnosis of non-Hodgkin lymphoma or another Roundup-related disease.
- Evidence linking your exposure to this probable carcinogen and the development of cancer.
For your lawsuit to be successful, it's going to be vital that you work with an experienced attorney who has previously handled similar cases. This is because these cases can be quite complex, and only an expert lawyer will know how to navigate them successfully.
At Schmidt & Clark, we have represented numerous clients in Washington state who have been injured by unsafe products, and we would be honored to help you too.
What Is the Statute of Limitations in Washington?
The statute of limitations is the time frame in which a plaintiff has to file a lawsuit. In the state of Washington, the statute of limitations to sue Monsanto over a disease caused by Roundup is three years .
The statute of limitations matters because it sets a deadline for filing a lawsuit.
If you wait too long to file your case, the court may bar you from doing so entirely. However, the statute of limitations may be extended in certain circumstances.
For example, suppose you did not discover your cancer diagnosis until after the three-year mark. In that case, you may still be able to file a lawsuit because the statute of limitations would be tolled (or paused) when you were unaware of your disease.
If Roundup harmed you, you need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights. The attorneys at Schmidt & Clark law firm have represented numerous clients injured by Monsanto, and we can help you too. Contact us today for a free consultation.
How Much Can I Expect to Get in a Lawsuit?
There is no way to predict how much any particular suit may receive, but there are several factors that will impact the amount of your settlement, including:
- The severity of your injuries: If you've been diagnosed with terminal cancer, you may receive a higher settlement than someone diagnosed with non-life-threatening cancer.
- The strength of your case: For your suit to be strong, you'll need evidence proving a link between Roundup and your cancer.
- The jury: It's impossible to predict how any given jury will rule. Some juries may be more sympathetic to your case than others.
The company has been held liable for damages related to Roundup because Monsanto failed to warn consumers about the risks associated with the weed killer.
"Based on the evidence that came in at trial, Monsanto deserves to be punished"
- Judge Vince Chhabria, California
In the first case to go to trial, plaintiff Dewayne Johnson was awarded $289 million after a jury found that Roundup had caused his non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Of that amount, $250 million was punitive damages against Monsanto, and $39 million was compensatory damages.
Then, a Federal jury in San Francisco awarded more than $80 million to a plaintiff who had used Roundup products for decades before they developed non-Hodgkin lymphoma .
And soon after that, a couple received a $2 billion verdict after a jury found that they got cancer caused by their exposure to Roundup. It said Monsanto knew about the potential dangers but did not warn the plaintiffs so they could make informed decisions about the product.
As we've seen from the recent high-profile cases that have gone to trial, awards can vary greatly depending on the individual circumstances. But one thing is sure: if Roundup caused your disease, your case deserves justice. Call our law firm for a free consultation about your legal options.
See all related product liability lawsuits our attorneys covered so far.
How Our Washington Lawyers Can Help
Receiving a diagnosis of cancer is devastating news. If you or a loved one got cancer after using Roundup, you may feel scared, confused, and overwhelmed. You may wonder how you will pay for treatment, how you will support your family, and what the future holds.
At Schmidt & Clark, LLP our experienced personal injury lawyers can help. We will fight to get you the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on what's important - your health and your family. Contact us today for a free consultation.