Risperdal (risperidone), a controversial antipsychotic drug made by Janssen Pharmaceuticals, has recently been linked to a serious side effect known as neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). This condition, which can be fatal if not treated, causes hyperthermia, rigidity, and autonomic dysregulation. Complications of Risperdal neuroleptic malignant syndrome may include rhabdomyolysis, renal failure, cardiac arrest, pulmonary embolism and liver failure.
Free Confidential Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one was diagnosed with neuroleptic malignant syndrome after taking Risperdal, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit against the manufacturer of Risperdal and we can help.
Complications of Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome
- Rhabdomyolysis: Complication that causes the breakdown of muscle fibers into the blood. This is toxic to the kidneys, and can lead to kidney damage if the condition is not treated in a timely manner. Signs and symptoms of rhabdomyolysis include dark or cola-colored urine, muscle stiffness (myalgia), general weakness (malaise), and weakness of the affected muscles.
- Renal failure: Also known as acute kidney failure, renal failure is characterized by the rapid loss of the kidneys’ ability to remove waste and balance electrolytes. This usually occurs within a matter of days after beginning treatment with Risperdal. Symptoms of renal failure include bloody stools, bad breath, metallic taste in the mouth, decreased sensation in the hands or feet, increased blood pressure and shortness of breath.
- Cardiac arrest: Occurs when blood stops flowing to the brain and the heart stops beating suddenly. If cardiac arrest is not treated within minutes, it will result in the death of the patient.
- Respiratory failure: Occurs when fluid accumulates in the lungs, which makes them unable to supply the blood with oxygen. Respiratory failure may also occur if the lungs are unable to remove carbon dioxide from the blood.
- Seizure (convulsions): Occur after an episode of abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Seizures are when the body shakes uncontrollably with the muscles contracting and relaxing repeatedly. Warning signs of an impending seizure include anxiety, nausea, vertigo, and visual symptoms such as bright flashing lights, spots or wavy lines in the air.
- Pulmonary embolism: Occurs when 1 or more arteries leading to the lungs gets blocked. Most pulmonary embolisms are caused by blood clots that travel to the lungs from other parts of the body (most often the arms or legs). These episodes can be fatal, but prompt medical treatment can greatly reduce the risk of life-threatening complications.
- Liver failure: Occurs when the liver stops functioning. Liver failure can be chronic (developing over a long period of time), or acute, developing rapidly over a matter of days or weeks. Liver failure is a medical emergency that requires immediate attention.
Do I Have a Risperdal Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Drug Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Risperdal Lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new Risperdal Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome cases in all 50 states.
Free Risperdal Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one was diagnosed with neuroleptic malignant syndrome after taking Risperdal, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a Risperdal Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome Suit and we can help.