Of all the serious side effects to be linked to Propecia (generic: finasteride), endocrine system failure may have the most profound long-term implications. The endocrine system consists of glands which secrete hormones in the body that regulate physical, chemical and sexual functions. When this critical system is disrupted, side effects may include feminization of the body, loss of libido, disruptions of the immune system, genital shrinkage and hormone crashes.
Free Propecia Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one has suffered from sexual dysfunction or been diagnosed with cancer after taking Propecia (finasteride) or Proscar, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit against the manufacturer of Propecia and we can help.
What is the Endocrine System?
Although we rarely if ever think about them, the glands of the endocrine system influence every cell, organ and function of our bodies. The endocrine system is critical in regulating mood, growth, development, tissue function, metabolism, sexuality and reproductive processes. The foundations of the endocrine system are the hormones and glands. As the body’s chemical messengers, hormones transfer information and instructions from one set of cells to another. However, when this process is interrupted by finasteride (the active ingredient contained in Propecia), profound long-term health complications may result.
Endocrine System Failure
When Propecia causes the endocrine system to fail, the following side effects may occur:
- Feminization of the body – Propecia has a tendency to manipulate hormone levels in the body, which may result in some female characteristics such as the formation of breasts (gynecomastia), increased tendency toward fatty deposits, and extremely soft muscles.
- Loss of libido – A recent study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine analyzed data from a number of clinical trials and calculated that approximately 15% of Propecia users experienced decreased libido, ejaculatory disorders, and erectile dysfunction, compared to just 7% of test subjects who took placebos. The study also reported the case of a 24-year-old man who took Propecia for male pattern baldness and subsequently developed a total loss of sexual function that remained irreversible even after he stopped taking the drug.
- Disruptions of the immune system – Scientific studies have shown that the immune system may be influenced endocrine failure. The immune system can be affected by the direct actions of chemicals on specific target components of this system characterized by immunosuppression, which can lead to decreased resistance to microbial agents or immunoenhancement, leading to allergies and other immunological responses.
- Genital shrinkage – Depending on the severity of the condition, Propecia-induced genital shrinkage can affect the penis, the testes, or both. These parts of the male anatomy play a fundamental role in men’s sexual health and overall well-being. Genital shrinkage caused by Propecia may result in sexual dysfunction, erectile dysfunction, impotence, urinary tract disorders, and persistent emotional or psychological damage.
Side Effects of Propecia
In addition to having the potential to cause endocrine system failure, Propecia has also been increasingly associated with:
- erectile dysfunction
- less desire for sex
- decrease in the amount of semen
- ejaculation disorders
- testicular pain
- body disfigurement
- male breast cancer
- breast lumps
- breast pain
- nipple discharge
- prostate cancer
- memory loss
- slurring of speech
- dissociative states
Want to learn more about Propecia side effects?
Please visit our home page where we provide an overview of the Propecia lawsuit. Here we have posted a number of videos, links to studies and research, and related information: Propecia Lawsuit
Do You Have a Propecia Endocrine System Failure Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Drug Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Propecia lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new sexual dysfunction and cancer cases in all 50 states.
Remember, taking a drug like Propecia to treat hair loss shouldn’t lead to permanent sexual dysfunction or cancer. Our law firm is passionate about helping the large number of otherwise healthy men who have suffered from the serious and potentially irreversible side effects of Propecia.
If you or a loved one has suffered from sexual dysfunction or been diagnosed with cancer after taking Propecia (finasteride) or Proscar, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help. We offer a Free Confidential Case Evaluation.