A recent study has identified a link between the birth control pill Ovral (norgestrel & ethinyl estradiol) and breast cancer. Researchers have determined that high dosages of estrogen (50 micrograms or more) may nearly triple the risk of breast cancer in certain users. Statistics have shown that 1 in 8 American women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime.
Free Ovral Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one was diagnosed with breast cancer after taking Ovral, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit against the manufacturer of Ovral and we can help.
What is Ovral?
Ovral is an oral contraceptive drug that contains an estrogen and progestin component to protect against pregnancy. Ovral comes in two formulations: the original version contains 500 mcgs of the progestin norgestrel, and 50 mcgs of a synthetic estrogen called ethinyl estradiol. The low-dose version, Lo/Ovral-28, contains 300 mcgs of norgestrel and 30 mcgs of ethinyl estradiol. Lo/Ovral-28 is available in numerous brand name and generic formulations.
High-Dose Estrogen Birth Control Pill Breast Cancer Risk Greatest in Women Under 50: Study
Oral contraceptives that contain high dosages of estrogen (more than 50 micrograms per dose) may increase the risk of breast cancer, according to the results of a recent study published in the journal Cancer Research.
“Our results suggest that use of contemporary oral contraceptives in the past year is associated with an increased breast cancer risk relative to never or former oral contraceptive use, and that this risk may vary by oral contraceptive formulation,” said Elisabeth F. Beaber, PhD, MPH, a staff scientist in the Public Health Sciences Division of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, WA.
Specifically, the study determined that:
- Use of high-dose estrogen oral contraceptives was associated with a 2.7-fold increase in breast cancer risk;
- Moderate-dose estrogen birth control pills were linked to a 1.6-fold increase;
- Pills which contained ethynodiol diacetate (Continuin and Femulen) were related to a 2.6-fold higher risk;
- Triphasic combination pills containing about 0.75 mgs of norethindrone each (sold as Ortho 75) increased the risk of breast cancer 3.1-fold, and
- No increased risk was found with low-dose estrogen formulations.
Breast Cancer Statistics
- Breast cancer is the 2nd most common cancer among women in the U.S., after skin cancer.
- Breast cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer death in American women, after lung cancer.
- The chance of a woman having invasive breast cancer in her lifetime is about 1 in 8.
- The chance of dying from breast cancer is approximately 1 in 36.
- Breast cancer death rates have been going down in recent years. This is likely the result of diagnosing the disease earlier and better treatment options.
- Right now there over 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S.
- Lump in the breast or underarm that persists after the menstrual cycle
- Swelling in the armpit
- Pain or tenderness in the breast
- Flattening or indentation on the breast
- A change in the nipple, such as a nipple retraction, dimpling, itching, a burning sensation, or ulceration
- Unusual discharge from the nipple
- Marble-like area under the skin
- An area that is distinctly different from any other area on either breast
Click Here to learn more about breast cancer from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Can I File an Ovral Lawsuit?
Only a qualified attorney can determine whether you are eligible to file a lawsuit against the maker of Ovral, which is why we are currently offering free case evaluations. Simply fill out the confidential evaluation form below to contact our law firm now.
Most cases involving pharmaceuticals allege that a drug was sold with design, manufacturing, and/or marketing defects, which typically refers to a company’s failure to warn of a certain side effect. In the case of Ovral, our attorneys suspect that patients may be able to take legal action in light of claims that manufacturers failed to adequately warn doctors and patients about the risk of breast cancer.
How Can Filing a Lawsuit Help Me?
By filing a lawsuit against the maker of Ovral, you may be entitled to collect compensation for all current and future medical expenses related to the treatment of your breast cancer, as well as for damages for pain and suffering. Additionally, filing a lawsuit can help hold the drug’s manufacturer accountable for releasing an allegedly defective drug into the marketplace, and to discourage other pharmaceutical companies from engaging in similar conduct.
Do I Have an Ovral Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Drug Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Ovral Lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new Ovral Breast Cancer cases in all 50 states.
Free Ovral Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one was diagnosed with breast cancer after taking Ovral, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing an Ovral Suit and we can help.