Nutrition plays a vital role in a mesothelioma patient’s well-being. By consuming enough essential nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, protein, carbohydrates, fat and water, the patient will benefit by feeling better and remaining stronger.
Free Mesothelioma Case Evaluation: If you or a loved one has mesothelioma, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.
What’s the problem?
Maintaining a good diet is very important when an individual is being treated for mesothelioma. A patient needs to be as strong as possible in order to deal with often difficult cancer treatments, and eating the right foods as well as taking vitamins, herbs and other supplements under the supervision of a doctor can go a long way in strengthening the body.
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, it is important to discuss a nutritional plan with your doctor. This can be as important as radiation, chemotherapy or other forms of cancer treatment. With the right nutritional plan, chances of survival can greatly improve.
Mesothelioma Nutrition Tips
In addition to eating a balanced diet, use the following tips to help strengthen the body’s ability to function well and fight disease:
- Avoid alcohol in excess amounts.
- Monitor weight carefully, not only being sure to stay trim, but also being sure to avoid becoming too thin.
- Learn about safe food preparation techniques.
- Cut the “bad” fats from your diet, opting instead for “good” fats, such as olive oil.
- Choose fruits and vegetables daily (these food groups should represent the bulk of your diet, approximately 50 percent).
- Avoid processed foods, like prepackaged meals.
- Make healthy choices when eating out, opting for low-carb or vegetable-based meals when possible.
- Monitor the types of fish you eat, choosing species low in mercury.
- Buy products that are organic.
- Do not eat fast food.
- Cut tobacco products out of your life.
- Take a multi-vitamin every day.
- Include adequate amounts of fiber in your diet.
If you or someone you love is suffering from mesothelioma, it is important to understand the unique nutritional needs of people in this situation, which differ significantly from those of a healthy person. A patient’s nutritional needs also vary depending on the type and stage of mesothelioma treatment a patient is undergoing. To learn more, contact Schmidt & Clark, LLP today.
Do I have a Mesothelioma Lawsuit?
The Toxic Tort Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus exclusively on the representation of plaintiffs in asbestos-related mesothelioma lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new cases in all 50 states.