You may be entitled to recover compensation and our legal team can help. Please click the button below for a Free Consultation or call us toll-free 24 hrs/day for legal advice by dialing (866) 588-0600.
Roundup weed killer is a well-known and popular herbicide used by many farmers and home gardeners across the country. The active component in Roundup, glyphosate, has been linked to many serious health problems, including cancer.
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with cancer after using this product, you may be entitled to help. A lawyer from the Schmidt & Clark law firm can evaluate your case and help you seek the compensation you deserve.
Why You Should Call Schmidt & Clark
- We know how to stand up to multinational corporations like Monsanto. Our law firm has a long history of taking on big companies on behalf of our clients, and we have the resources to take on your case.
- Our New Mexico Roundup lawyers are experienced in handling lawsuits and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. You won't have to pay us anything unless we are successful.
- Our understanding of the science behind Roundup will help us build a strong case on your behalf. Your health is our top priority, and we will do everything we can to get you what you need to heal.
The Science of Roundup
Roundup is a systemic herbicide produced by Monsanto Company. It contains the active ingredient glyphosate, which attacks weeds by interfering with their ability to make an enzyme which plants need to grow.
With glyphosate-based herbicides, plants cannot produce specific essential proteins. This eventually leads to the death of the plant.
The safety of Monsanto Roundup has been questioned in recent years after several studies linked glyphosate exposure to an increased risk of cancer.
In 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, which is part of the World Health Organization, classified glyphosate as a "probable human carcinogen" primarily based on evidence that it can cause non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and other blood cancers.
Some of these illnesses include:
- Multiple myeloma
- T-cell lymphoma
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia
- B-cell lymphoma
In addition to a cancer diagnosis, Roundup exposure has also been linked to other serious health issues, such as kidney, liver, reproductive, and endocrine disease.
"Roundup, the most widely used herbicide in the world, must now carry a label warning California consumers that it can cause cancer in people. This marks the first time a governmental authority anywhere in the world has issued a regulation based on Roundup's potential carcinogenicity."
- Environmental Working Group
Qualifying for a Lawsuit
There are specific criteria you must meet to have success in lawsuits.
- You must have been exposed to glyphosate. For example, agricultural workers, farmers, or landscapers may have had regular exposure to glyphosate through their work. Or if you frequently used Roundup weed killer in your home garden, you may also be eligible for a lawsuit.
- You must have developed a Roundup-related disease after this exposure. For example, if you were diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma after being exposed to glyphosate, you may be able to file a claim.
- You need to show that Roundup was a significant factor in causing your disease. This means you will need to provide evidence that glyphosate contributed to your cancer diagnosis or other health problem. You will be required to show that you used the product as directed and that you suffered a personal injury that needs medical care as a result.
You may be successful in lawsuits if you meet all of these criteria. Contact our New Mexico Roundup lawyers today for a free consultation to see if you qualify. Our free case review is entirely confidential, and there is no obligation.
The Statute of Limitations for Lawsuits in New Mexico
It's important to note that there is a statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit against Monsanto for their weed killer. In most lawsuits, you will only have three years from the date of your injury to file a lawsuit .
However, there are some important exceptions to this statute. If your injury was not immediately apparent, you may be given an extension to the time when the harm is discovered.
This is not uncommon in cases where the disease develops over a long period of time, such as with non-Hodgkin lymphoma or other cancer.
If you have any questions about the statute of limitations in your case, our New Mexico lawyers can help with a free consultation. We will thoroughly review your case and let you know if you are still eligible to file a claim.
How Much Does a Lawsuit Pay?
The amount of money you can receive from lawsuits will depend on multiple factors, such as the extent of your damages, the severity of your injuries, and the strength of your case.
In general, you may be able to recover compensation for economic damages, such as lost wages and medical costs. Also, you may receive noneconomic damages, such as pain and suffering. You may also be able to recover punitive damages in some particularly bad cases.
Several lawsuits have been filed against Monsanto, claiming that exposure to their Roundup product caused plaintiffs to develop cancer.
In 2018, a jury in San Francisco ordered Monsanto to pay $289 million in damages to a man who claimed that his exposure to Roundup caused him to develop non-Hodgkin lymphoma .
Of course, not every case will result in such a high verdict, but it does show that juries are willing to award large payouts to people harmed by Roundup. These punitive damages are designed to punish the company for its failure to warn consumers about their risk of developing cancer and to deter future misconduct.
If Roundup weed killer has injured you, our New Mexico lawyers can help you fight for the financial compensation you deserve. We will review your case at no cost and help you understand your legal options. Call us today to learn more about lawsuits.
What Our New Mexico Roundup Lawyers Can Do for You
Thousands of people have already filed suit against Monsanto, claiming that the active component in Roundup caused their cancer. We represent clients that have suffered injuries from this toxic herbicide and developed cancer from their Roundup use.
If you or a family member were diagnosed with cancer after exposure to Roundup weed killer, contact our experienced New Mexico Roundup lawyers today for a free consultation.
You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, and more. Call us today for your free case evaluation and let's help make you whole again.