There are a number of possible sources of financial assistance and/or compensation for people with mesothelioma.
Free Mesothelioma Case Evaluation: If you or a loved one has mesothelioma, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.
What’s the problem?
In both mesothelioma trial verdicts that find for the Plaintiff and cases that settle before trial, the amount awarded or settled on is based on compensation for two kinds of loss: economic loss and non-economic loss.
Economic loss refers to the financial damages resulting from the illness or death of a mesothelioma victim due to wrongful action. This type of financial loss includes:
- Medical expenses – doctor and hospital bills, medications, insurance co-pays and deductibles, medical devices and home health care.
- Lost wages – the pay the victim loses beginning when they have to miss work or stop working as a result of their illness, through to their expected retirement. This can also include lost retirement pay and social security.
- Loss of household services – these are the services the family or spouse depended on the victim to do before they got sick, and will have to find someone else to take care of. This could include services such as yard care, car or house repairs, cooking, child care and much more.
- Other miscellaneous expenses – that apply to each individual case.
Non-economic damages, on the other hand, are non-monetary losses that can be more difficult to quantify, but no less important. They include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Because of the aggressive nature of mesothelioma, it is important that the patient and his or her family move quickly to document the facts and circumstances particular to the individual’s exposure to asbestos. This includes gathering information on work history, the types and brands of asbestos products encountered in one’s past, as well as the different work locations where exposure may have occurred and names of co-workers.
Not only does mesothelioma progress rapidly, but rules of legal procedure, known as statutes of limitation, require that a claim be filed within a short window of time from the date of initial diagnosis. If you wait too long, it may be impossible to recover for any of the financial, physical and emotional hardships, regardless of the amount and strength of the proof gathered.
Do I have a Mesothelioma Lawsuit?
The Toxic Tort Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus exclusively on the representation of plaintiffs in asbestos-related mesothelioma lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new cases in all 50 states.