Second Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Lumber Liquidators in Nevada

Schmidt & Clark, LLP is No Longer Taking These Cases - If you feel that you may have a potential case, we urge you to contact another law firm adequately suited to handle your case.

For the second time in less than a month, a class action lawsuit has been filed against Lumber Liquidators in Nevada District Court over the company’s Chinese-made laminate flooring. The complaints follow a “60 Minutes” report aired on CBS which revealed illegal levels of the cancer-causing substance formaldehyde in laminate floors sold by Lumber Liquidators.

Class Action Lawsuit Alleges Formaldehyde Exposure from Lumber Liquidators Flooring

Las Vegas resident Rosie Oakes has filed a class action lawsuit against Lumber Liquidators over fears her laminate floors may be poisonous. In an interview with ABC News, Oakes describes severe respiratory problems she, her husband and dog began suffering shortly after installing nearly 700 feet of laminate flooring they had purchased from Lumber Liquidators.

“He (Oakes’ husband) woke me up at 4 in the morning, coughing. The second day we were in the condo, coughing and coughing and I was like, what’s wrong, are you ok? I couldn’t get back to sleep, he was coughing so much,” Rosie said. “They’re poisoning my family. I don’t even know that I can stay another day in my house.”

The family had no idea of what to make of their illnesses until the “60 Minutes” report aired on March 1. Now, they’ve moved out of their home and filed a class action lawsuit against Lumber Liquidators asking the company to test and — if necessary — remove and replace the flooring. The complaint includes separate sections for homeowners, contractors and installers.

Earlier this month, another class action lawsuit was filed against Lumber Liquidators in Nevada District Court by a North Las Vegas family. Noah Bennett and his wife Rosonna, their adult son and 2 dogs fell ill shortly after they began installing laminate wood flooring purchased from the company. Worried, Bennett moved his family into an RV behind their house and hired a company to test the floors, which registered well above legal limits for formaldehyde content.

Awards & recognition