Januvia (sitagliptin) has recently been linked to pancreatitis, a condition characterized by a severe inflammation of the pancreas. Complications of pancreatitis may include breathing problems, diabetes, infections, and kidney failure.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after using Januvia, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit against the manufacturer and our lawyers can help.
What are the Complications of Pancreatitis?
- Breathing problems – Januvia pancreatitis influences chemical changes in the body that affect lung function, causing oxygen levels in the blood to drop drastically.
- Diabetes – Disease that affects the way the human body uses blood sugar. Januvia has been found to cause diabetes by damaging insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.
- Infections – Patients with pancreatitis are extremely vulnerable to bacterial infections of the pancreas. Pancreatic infections are adverse complications that require immediate medical attention.
- Kidney failure – Untreated pancreatitis can lead to kidney failure, which occurs when the kidneys are no longer able to remove waste and balance fluids in the body. Kidney failure can be treated with dialysis if the condition is chronic and severe.
- Malnutrition – Individuals with pancreatitis have fewer of the enzymes needed to digest foodstuffs. This can lead to malnutrition, diarrhea, and weight loss, even though the patient’s eating habits may be normal.
- Pancreatic cancer – Pancreatitis can lead to full-blown pancreatic cancer if the patient’s pancreas remains inflamed for a prolonged period of time. Pancreatic cancer is currently the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the United States.
- Pseudocyst – Complication caused by fluid and debris building up in the pancreas. Pseudocysts can cause internal bleeding and infections.
Click here to learn more about Januvia pancreatitis complications from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
Do I Have a Januvia Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Drug Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Januvia lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new pancreatic cancer cases in all 50 states.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation: Again, if you developed pancreatic cancer from Januvia, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a class action suit and our lawyers can help.