Merck’s popular type 2 diabetes drug Janumet (metformin and sitagliptin) has recently been linked to complications including pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer, and thyroid cancer. These diseases are severe and can be deadly if not treated in a timely manner. This article focuses on Janumet pancreatitis complications.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after taking Janumet, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit against the manufacturer of Janumet and we can help.
What are the Complications of Janumet Pancreatitis?
Janumet pancreatitis complications may include:
- Breathing problems – Janumet pancreatitis may cause chemical changes in the body that affect lung function, causing oxygen levels in the blood to drop significantly.
- Diabetes – Disease that influences the way the body uses blood sugar. Janumet pancreatitis has been found to damage insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.
- Infection – As the disease progresses, it can cause bacterial infection in the pancreas. Pancreatic infections caused by pancreatitis are severe complications that require emergency medical intervention such as surgery to remove the infected tissue.
- Kidney failure – If left untreated, pancreatitis can lead to kidney failure, a condition characterized by the kidneys’ inability to remove waste and help balance fluids and electrolytes in the body.
- Malnutrition – Pancreatitis can cause the pancreas to manufacture fewer of the enzymes needed to process nutrients from food. This can lead to malnutrition, diarrhea and weight loss, even though the patient’s eating habits may be the same as before they developed the disease.
- Pancreatic cancer – Chronic inflammation in the pancreas can lead to full-blown pancreatic cancer, a leading cause of cancer death in the United States.
- Pseudocyst – Accumulation of fluid and debris in the pockets of the pancreas. Pseudocysts can cause side effects such as internal bleeding and infections.
Click here to learn more about Janumet pancreatitis complications from the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
Do I Have a Janumet Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Drug Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Janumet lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new Janumet pancreatic cancer cases in all 50 states.
Free Janumet Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after taking Janumet, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a Janumet suit and we can help.