A Canadian company that distributed its ham products in California has issued a ham recall due to the potential for salmonella poisoning.
Free Confidential Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one got sick after eating ham products, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit against the producer of the ham and our lawyers can help.
Ham Recall Salmonella Poisoning
Canadian Firm Recalls Ham Products Distributed to California Over Salmonella Contamination
Quebec, Canada-based Olymel S.E.C./L.P. is recalling about 6,804 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) ham products that may be contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis, according to the U.S. Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) . Specific products affected by this recall include:
- 12-lb. plastic film vacuum package of “Celebrity EXTRA LEAN IMPORTED HAM 98% FAT-FREE” with product codes “20309 11 – 91”, “20309 21 – 91”, “20309 31 – 91” or “20309 51 – 91” printed on the side of the packaging.
The recalled ham was packaged on Nov. 5, 2020, and shipped to distributors in California for further distribution for institutional use. The products feature the Canadian establishment number "180" inside the Canadian inspection mark located below the ingredient list.
This recall began on April 15, 2021.
Related Article: Listeria Infection Outbreak Lawsuit Update
Ham Recall Listeria Poisoning
Johnston County Hams said the ham at issue was produced from April 3, 2017, to Oct. 2, 2018, and shipped to distributors in North Carolina, South Carolina, New York, Maryland, and Virginia.
An investigation by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), FSIS, and state officials identified a link between 1 death and 3 listeria illnesses and deli ham produced by the company. The ongoing investigation has identified listeria cases occurring between July 8, 2017, and August 11, 2018, FSIS said.
Specific products affected by the recall include:
- Varying weights of 7- to 8-pound plastic-wrapped packages of “JOHNSTON COUNTY HAMS, INC. COUNTRY STYLE FULLY COOKED BONELESS DELI HAM.”
- Varying weights of 7- to 8-pound plastic-wrapped packages of “Ole Fashioned Sugar Cured The Old Dominion Brand Hams Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham” with sell-by dates from 4/10/2018 through 9/27/2019.
- Varying weights of 7- to 8-pound plastic-wrapped packages of “Padow’s Hams & Deli Inc. FULLY COOKED COUNTRY HAM BONELESS Glazed with Brown Sugar.”
- Varying weights of 7- to 8-pound plastic-wrapped packages of “Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham LESS SALT Distributed By: Valley Country Hams LLC” with Sell-By dates from 4/10/2018 to 9/27/2019.
- Varying weights of 7- to 8-pound plastic-wrapped packages of “GOODNIGHT BROTHERS COUNTRY HAM Boneless Fully Cooked.”
Symptoms of listeriosis include varying degrees of fever, muscle aches, nausea, and/or diarrhea. If the infection spreads to the central nervous system (CNS), additional symptoms may include confusion, loss of balance, and/or convulsions.
An estimated 1,600 people in the U.S. get listeriosis each year, and about 260 people die from the illness, according to the CDC.
If you purchased any of the above ham products, you should not eat them, and either discard them immediately or return them to the point of purchase for a refund.
Anyone concerned about a potential listeria infection should contact their doctor right away.
- Carolina Pride Foods Ham Recall Litigation
- Ham Recalls Food Poisoning Litigation
- Serrano Ham Recall Lawsuit
See all related food poisoning lawsuits our lawyers have taken on.
Do I have a Ham Recall Lawsuit? Contact a Food Poisoning Lawyer.
The Food Poisoning Litigation Group at Schmidt & Clark, LLP law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in ham recall lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new food-borne illness cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you were diagnosed with a food-borne illness after eating any of the ham products listed in this article, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a lawsuit and we can help.