What’s the Problem?
An FDA Warning issued on June 19, 2020, lists the following hand sanitizer products manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV, which may be harmful if applied to the skin or ingested orally:
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
FDA researchers tested 2 of the products, Lavar 70 Gel and CleanCare No Germ. They found that the Lavar Gel product “contains 81% methanol and no ethyl alcohol,” while CleanCare No Germ “contains 28% methanol.”
There is no safe level of methanol in hand sanitizer, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It can cause skin irritation, and if ingested, lead to a range of problems including:
- blurred vision
- permanent blindness
- permanent damage to the nervous system
A recent study from the CDC found that calls to U.S. poison control centers related to cleaning products went up dramatically in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many calls involved children under 5, including 1 case of a preschooler who drank from a bottle of hand sanitizer, and fell and hit her head.
FDA is advising any consumers who purchased Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizers to dispose of them in hazardous waste containers. The products should not be flushed or poured down the drain, the agency warned.
Do I Have an Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer Lawsuit?
The Product Liability Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer Lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new injury and death cases in all 50 states.
If you or a loved one has been injured by Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.