What is the Elmiron Lawsuit About?
The first Elmiron lawsuits were filed against Janssen Pharmaceuticals in January 2020. Plaintiffs alleged that Elmiron caused severe damage to the eye resulting in vision loss and that Janssen may have been aware of this risk and withheld information from the public and from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Related Article: Elmiron Lawsuits Update
Elmiron Settlement Amounts
Based on settlements in prior mass tort drug cases, our product liability lawyers anticipate the following settlement amounts in lawsuits:
|Vision Impairment Level||Settlement Range|
|80% – 100%||$750,000 – $1,000,000|
|40% – 80%||$350,000 – $700,000|
|20% – 40%||$75,000 – $200,000|
|Under 20%||$25,000 – $50,000|
Has Elmiron Been Taken Off the Market?
Studies have shown that Elmiron is toxic to the retina. However, Janssen has made no attempt to recall the medication from the U.S. market. Despite Elmiron's risk of permanent blindness, Elmiron continues to be prescribed to unsuspecting patients across the country.
Who Qualifies to File a Lawsuit?
You may be eligible to join a lawsuit against Elmiron if you:
- Took Elmiron for a minimum of 2 years
- Sought treatment for eye problems
- Were diagnosed with vision damage (pigmentary maculopathy, retinal maculopathy, or macular degeneration)
- Experienced changes to your vision such as blurred vision, difficulty reading, distorted vision, eye pain, issues adjusting to the darkness, vision disturbances, or vision loss
- Were diagnosed with eye damage or started having vision problems while using Elmiron within 1 year of discontinuing treatment with the drug
- Began experiencing vision trouble on or after Jan. 1, 2010
What Can I Take Instead of Elmiron?
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are several alternatives to Elmiron that can help you treat interstitial cystitis, including:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) — This class of medications includes widely-available pain relievers including ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) and naproxen sodium (Aleve)
- Tricyclic antidepressants — medications like Tofranil (imipramine) or amitriptyline can help reduce bladder pain
- Antihistamines — common medications like Claritin (loratadine) may reduce urinary urgency and reduce discomfort and pain associated with interstitial cystitis
How Long Will the Elmiron Settlement Take?
The Elmiron multidistrict litigation (MDL) will probably resolve following the bellwether trials in early 2023. This litigation could potentially move faster than other defective drug cases because the scientific evidence against Elmiron appears to be extremely strong.
See all related dangerous drug lawsuits our attorneys covered so far.
Get a Free Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Lawyers
The Pharmaceutical Litigation Group at Schmidt & Clark, LLP law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in lawsuits. We handle individual litigation nationwide and accept new lawsuits in all 50 states.
Again, if you or a loved one suffered eye damage after taking Elmiron, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and our lawyer can help.