FSIS Alert: A Los Angeles establishment is currently recalling nearly 400,000 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli 0157:H7. The meat was shipped to restaurants in California and Nevada, as well as to one Federal establishment in California for further processing. This is a Class I Recall, meaning that consumption of this product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or even death.
Free Commercial Meat Co. Ground Beef Recall Suit Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with E. coli food poisoning after consuming Commercial Meat Co. ground beef products included in this recall, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.
What’s the problem?
October 11, 2011 – The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) issued a press release today informing the public that Commercial Meat Co., a Los Angeles, CA, establishment is now recalling approximately 377,775 pounds of ground beef products because they have the potential to be contaminated with E. coli bacteria. Specific products named in this recall include:
- 5,10,15,20,30,40,50 and 60 lb. cases of bulk ground beef
- 5,10 and 20 lb. cases of ground beef patties
- 10,15,20,30,40 and 50 lb. cases of ground beef taco
- 5,10,15,20,25,30,40,50 and 60 lb. cases of ground beef chili
These products were produced between September 7th and October 6th, 2011, and can be identified by labels with the establishment number “EST. 4873” inside the USDA mark of inspection. The contamination was discovered through routine FSIS monitoring which confirmed a positive result for E. coli 0157:H7. Commercial Meat Co. did not hold product pending test results, resulting in this recall. If you have consumed any ground beef included in this recall and are concerned about an illness, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately.
E. Coli Food Poisoning
E. coli 0157:H7 is a common foodborne pathogen that can cause potentially fatal side effects in the young, elderly, and those with otherwise compromised immune systems. Most people with the infection will have:
- severe stomach cramps and stomach tenderness
- diarrhea (which may be watery or bloody)
- severe blood or kidney problems
- kidney failure
- long-term disability
Follow these simple tips for preparing ground beef for safe consumption:
- wash hands with warm, soapy water for at least 20 seconds before and after handling raw meat and poultry.
- wash cutting boards, dishes and utensils with hot, soapy water.
- immediately clean all spills.
- keep raw fish, meat and poultry away from other food that will not be cooked.
- only eat ground beef products that have been cooked to a temperature of at least 160° F.
- refrigerate meat and poultry within two hours after purchase, or one hour if surrounding temperatures exceed 90° F.
Need More Info?
Click on the following links if you’d like additional information about these issues from Schmidt & Clark, LLP:
Do You Have a Commercial Meat Co. Ground Beef Recall Lawsuit?
The Food Poisoning Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Commercial Meat Co. ground beef recall lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new E. coli food poisoning cases in all 50 states.
Free Commercial Meat Co. Ground Beef Recall Suit Evaluation:If you or a loved one has been severely sickened after consuming Commercial Meat Co. ground beef included in this recall, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and we can help.