Table Of Contents
- What is the Calcasieu Refining Co.?
- What’s the Problem?
- 2006 Calcasieu Parish Oil Spill in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- What Causes Refinery Explosions?
- Refinery Explosion Injuries
- What to do Following a Refinery Explosion Accident
- Why You Need an Experienced Refinery Explosion Lawyer
- Establishing Liability in a Refinery Fire Case
- Medical Care And Compensation For Explosion Victims
- Get a Free Calcasieu Refining Accident Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Personal Injury Lawyers
What is the Calcasieu Refining Co.?
The Calcasieu Refining Company operates an oil refinery in Lake Charles, Louisiana. The Company processes crude oil and produces fuels, heating oils, and petrochemicals. Calcasieu Refining has an operating capacity of 75,000 barrels.
What’s the Problem?
Calcasieu Refining Co. states that it is always looking for new ways to develop additional capacity, while lowering operational costs—however, this isn’t always a good initiative.
Unfortunately, there have been many cases where refineries in Calcasieu and Lake Charles cut corners to lower costs, which results in workers injured due to dangerous situations. Ignoring aging equipment such as broken alarms, thinning pipes, or excessive fumes can create a dangerous work environment.
- Oil Rig Injury Accident Lawyer
- Oil Field Accident & Lawyers
- Oil Field Work Dangers and Risks
- Most Typical Oil Rig Injuries
2006 Calcasieu Parish Oil Spill in Lake Charles, Louisiana
In 2006, a severe Calcasieu Parish storm caused the Citgo Petroleum Refinery’s storage system to overflow, resulting in a major oil spill. The storm caused 21 million gallons of waste to escape, including 17 million gallons of contaminated wastewater and 4.2 million gallons of slop oil.
Louisiana is familiar with these types of severe storms and it is the refinery’s job to be prepared and try to prevent these tragic incidents. Instead, Calcasieu tasks employees to clean-up after these disastrous events.
However, clean-up efforts can be extremely dangerous. The clean-up efforts for this case resulted in workers injured and requiring medical attention.
What Causes Refinery Explosions?
Some common causes of explosions at refineries include:
- Defective equipment
- Machinery that isn’t properly maintained
- Corroded pipes
- Poorly trained workers
- Miscommunication between employees
- Violations of safety steps
- Smoking on the job
- Electrical dangers
- Chemicals that are not stored or labeled correctly
Refinery Explosion Injuries
- Burns – Heat generated in chemical explosions is intense and can reach into the thousands of degrees.
- Traumatic brain injury – Falls, flying objects, and other things can lead to head and brain damage.
- Lung damage – Lung damage can result from breathing in smoke and chemicals.
- Damage to hearing – The noise from the explosion can cause hearing loss.
- Toxic gas poisoning – Gases in the air during and after a chemical blast can lead to toxic poisoning.
- Organ damage and fractures – These can occur from falls and other impacts, including being caught between equipment or objects.
- Cuts and puncture wounds – Flying debris or being slammed against sharp objects can lead to serious cuts and punctures.
What to do Following a Refinery Explosion Accident
Because explosions can cause life-threatening damages, you may be taken to the emergency room. If your damages were not considered an emergency, you should still seek immediate medical treatment. Serious injuries don’t always show up right away.
While undergoing treatment, follow all medical advice and don’t miss doctor’s appointments. Be sure to keep a file with your medical bills and records.
Write down everything you can remember about how the accident happened. If there were witnesses, write their names down and get contact information.
Why You Need an Experienced Refinery Explosion Lawyer
When you or your loved one left for work on the day of the accident, you had no idea of the trauma that was to come. But due to another party’s negligence, your life has been changed forever. We work hard to help restore your life as much as possible by getting you maximum compensation for your injuries.
At the law firm of Schmidt & Clark, LLP, our seasoned oilfield accident lawyers understand how to successfully hold big oil and other parties accountable when workers are iII or killed. Call us to schedule a free consultation about your case at (866) 588-0600. We work on contingency, so we don’t get paid unless you do.
Establishing Liability in a Refinery Fire Case
Our injury attorneys will undertake a comprehensive investigation of the accident on behalf of the victim. Working with a team of expert attorneys knowledgeable in plant operations and skilled at investigating explosions.
Furthermore, an experienced attorney from one of our office locations will document how the accident happened and assign liability. This legal help will include all parties (including family and employees) who contributed to the accident. Lastly, our injury attorneys offer a free consultation and will work diligently to build a strong and well-documented case for those involved.
- TPC Chemical Plant Explosion Lawsuit
- Gas Field Injury Lawsuit
- Hydraulic Fracking Explosion Lawyer
- Comprehensive List of Texas Oil Refineries
See all personal injury lawsuit cases we’ve taken on.
Medical Care And Compensation For Explosion Victims
Injured workers may suffer serious flame, scald or chemical burns. Above all, our Baton Rouge, Louisiana attorneys will place a priority on employee safety, helping the accident victim get all of the medical care and rehabilitation services he or she needs to recover to the fullest extent possible from their injury.
In a very serious burn accident case, our Louisiana injury attorneys will work with a life-care planner. This medical professional can identify all of the medical care and services the victim will need for the rest of his or her life.
In addition, a Louisiana attorney will seek damages for all losses, including lost income, and non-economic losses such as pain and suffering for employees and family members.
Get a Free Calcasieu Refining Accident Lawsuit Evaluation With Our Personal Injury Lawyers
The law offices of Schmidt & Clark, LLP, is dedicated to protecting the rights of the American refinery worker and is one of the only firms willing to handle these types of claims in the entire United States.
Again, if you or a loved one has been seriously injured or killed in a Calcasieu refining accident, you should contact our legal team immediately by using the form below or calling our law firm toll-free 24 hours/day by dialing (866) 588-0600 for a free consultation. You may be entitled to a settlement and our attorneys can help.
Accident victims may be able to recover compensation for medical expenses in a personal injury lawsuit and our oil field injury lawyers can help.