Byetta, a popular type 2 diabetes drug manufactured by Amylin Pharmaceuticals, has recently been linked to a number of severe health complications including pancreatic cancer, thyroid cancer, and pancreatitis. These conditions are extremely serious and can be life-threatening if not treated in a timely manner. This article will discuss Byetta pancreatitis complications.
Byetta Pancreatitis Update 2/26/13: The popular type 2 diabetes drugs Byetta and Januvia may double the risk of users developing pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas that can lead to cancer and kidney failure. The new information, which was published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, found that patients hospitalized with pancreatitis were twice as likely to be taking Januvia or Byetta than a control group of diabetics who didn’t have the disease. Click here to learn more.
Free Byetta Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer or thyroid cancer after taking Byetta, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit against the manufacturer of Byetta and we can help.
What are the Complications of Byetta Pancreatitis?
Byetta pancreatitis complications have been reported to include:
- Breathing problems – Byetta pancreatitis has been found to cause chemical changes in the body that influence lung function, causing the level of oxygen in the blood to drop to dangerously low levels.
- Diabetes – Another serious Byetta side effect that causes damage to insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. Diabetes is a disease that affects the way the body uses blood sugar.
- Infection – Byetta pancreatitis can make the pancreas vulnerable to bacterial infection. Pancreatic infections are serious events that require intensive treatment such as surgery to remove the infected tissue.
- Kidney failure – If left untreated, Byetta pancreatitis can lead to kidney failure, which can be treated with dialysis if the condition is chronic and severe.
- Malnutrition – Pancreatitis can cause the pancreas to produce fewer of the enzymes needed to digest nutrients from the food a person eats. This can lead to malnutrition, diarrhea and weight loss, even though your eating habits may be normal.
- Pancreatic cancer – Persistent inflammation in the pancreas caused by Byetta pancreatitis can lead to pancreatic cancer, the fourth leading cause of cancer death among men and women in the United States.
- Pseudocyst – Pancreatitis can cause fluid and debris to accumulate in pockets of the pancreas. These so-called ‘pseudocysts’ can cause Byetta pancreatitis complications such as internal bleeding and infections.
Click here to learn more about Byetta pancreatitis complications from the National Center for Biotechnology Information
Do I Have a Byetta Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Drug Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Byetta lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new Byetta pancreatic cancer and Byetta thyroid cancer cases in all 50 states.
Free Byetta Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer or thyroid cancer after taking Byetta, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a Byetta suit and we can help.