Women across the U.S. are filing lawsuits against manufacturers of breast implants alleging problems including cancer, implant rupture, skin rash, metal poisoning from leaking silicone and muscle pain.
Free Confidential Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one suffered complications with a breast implant, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit and our lawyers can help.
What’s the Problem?
Breast augmentation surgery has been the #1 cosmetic procedure in the U.S. for more than a decade. However, what many women fail to consider before deciding to get implants are the serious health risks involved. Defective breast implants can rupture, tear or leak, which can have serious medical consequences.
Breast Implant Cancer FDA Warning
Saline and silicone breast implants have been linked to a rare type of blood cancer known as anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL), according to an FDA Warning issued in January 2011. The agency indicated that it was aware of at least 60 cases of ALCL in women who had breast augmentation surgery. As a result of these problems, FDA required implant manufacturers Allergan Inc. and Mentor Corp. to update label warnings on their products alerting the public and medical community about the increased risk of cancer with breast implants.
Signs and symptoms of anaplastic large cell lymphoma include:
- Swelling of lymph nodes
- Loss of appetite
- Night sweats
Complications of Breast Augmentation
- Implant Rupture
- Capsular Contracture (implant too tight)
- Leaking Implant
- Toxic shock syndrome
- Implant failure
- Removal surgery
- Revision surgery
- Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (ALCL)
- Lung Cancer
- Neurological Diseases
- Rheumatological Problems
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Esophageal Motility
- Raynaud’s Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Connective Tissue Diseases
- Systemic Fungus
- Sjogren’s Syndrome
- Breast pain
- Upper or lower back pain
- Chemical sensitivity
- Muscle pain and/or stiffness
- Hair loss
- Achy or swollen joints
- Sensitivity to sunlight
- Kidney problems
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Difficulty swallowing and/or breathing
- And more
Are Lawsuits Being Filed?
Yes. There are currently a number of lawsuits pending against breast implant manufacturers:
- In 2012, an Arizona woman filed a lawsuit (PDF) against Allergan, alleging that she suffered a number of complications from Natrelle silicone breast implants, including neurological problems and vision loss. Plaintiff received the implants in 2009 and was subsequently required to undergo a bilateral mastectomy due to breast cancer. She alleges that Allergan Natrelle breast implants were defectively designed and also claims that she was unwittingly enrolled in a safety study without consent.
- A Seattle woman filed a lawsuit (case no. 2:16-cv-07316-DMG) in September 2016 against Mentor Worldwide LLC and its parent company, Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., alleging that the companies failed to follow requirements imposed by the FDA in connection with Mentor’s premarket approval application. The suit also accuses the manufacturers of failing to warn of the potential health risks of breast implant surgery.
- A product liability lawsuit filed in California in February 2017 alleges that breast implants sold by Johnson & Johnson’s Mentor subsidiary are defective and prone to leaks. The complaint was filed by Plaintiff Rexine Mize, who claims that leaking breast implants caused her severe muscle pain, nausea and other health problems.
Can I Participate in a Class Action?
There are currently several class action lawsuits pending on behalf of victims of defective breast implants. Settlements are currently being handled for Dow Corning breast implants for Class 5 claimants, in addition to cases involving implants that contain silicone gel for Class 7 claimants. Our lawyers will be able to explain the requirements needed to participate in each of these class action lawsuits.
Do I Qualify to File a Claim?
You may be eligible to file a breast implant lawsuit if you had an illness or a loved one died after receiving a breast implant made by:
• Dow Corning Corporation
• McGhan, Mentor, CUI or Bioplast
• Baxter Health Care
• 3M Corporation
• Bristol-Meyer Squibb
FDA Update on Breast Implant ALCL Link
March 21, 2017 – The FDA has updated its understanding on the risk of anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) with breast implants, stating that the cancer is more likely to occur in women whose implants have textured surfaces. As of February 1, 2017, the agency has received at least 359 medical device reports (MDRs) of BIA-ALCL, including 9 deaths. The vast majority of these incidents occurred in women with textured breast implants, according to the FDA.
Do I Have a Breast Implant Class Action Lawsuit?
The Class Action Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in breast implant lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new injury cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you suffered problems as the result of a defective breast implant, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.