The FDA has warned that the blood pressure medication Benicar (olmesartan) may cause a rare gastrointestinal (GI) disease called sprue-like enteropathy. This condition is similar to celiac disease, producing symptoms such as chronic diarrhea, substantial weight loss and villous atrophy, or erosion of the villi, the hair-like lining of the small intestines that absorb food into the body. This article discusses the potential complications of untreated Benicar-induced enteropathy.
Free Benicar Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one developed enteropathy after using Benicar (olmesartan), you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit and our lawyers can help.
What are the Potential Complications of Sprue-Like Enteropathy?
Complications of Benicar Enteropathy are secondary conditions, symptoms, or other disorders that are caused by the disease. In some cases, the distinction between symptoms and complications is arbitrary or unclear. However, the following complications have been widely-reported in patients with sprue-like enteropathy:
- Dehydration – Occurs when you lose more fluid than you consume, and your body doesn’t have enough water and other vital fluids to carry out its functions. If lost fluids are not replaced in patients with enteropathy, they will become dehydrated in a short amount of time.
- Idiopathic malabsorption – The inability of the patient’s body to absorb certain sugars, fats, proteins, or vitamins from food. In some cases, it can also involve a general malabsorption of food.
- Bone loss – Failure to absorb nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D can contribute to poor bone density. Over time, this can lead to osteoporosis, bone pain, and bone weakness that may cause the patient’s bones to become brittle and break easily.
- Lactose intolerance – Inflammation in the lining of the intestine can keep enteropathy patients from producing the enzyme required to metabolize lactose, which is the sugar in dairy foods. Undigested lactose can cause gas, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Irritability / Depression – Patients with Benicar-induced enteropathy may suffer from depression, lack of energy, and problems with memory and/or concentration. Studies indicate that these symptoms may be caused by malabsorption of vitamin B6 and tryptophan, important nutrients needed to produce neurotransmitters that stimulate nerve cells in the brain.
- Lymphoma / bowel cancer – If enteropathy goes untreated for a prolonged period of time, it may increase the risk of cancer of the digestive system. Lymphoma of the small intestine is a rare form of cancer, but may be 30x more common in patients with enteropathy and celiac disease.
- Dental defects – Permanent damage to the enamel of the teeth may occur due to long-term malabsorption of calcium and other important minerals.
Do I have a Benicar Lawsuit?
The Product Liability & Defective Drug Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Benicar lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new Benicar Enteropathy cases in all 50 states.
Free Benicar Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one was diagnosed with enteropathy after taking Benicar, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a Benicar Suit and our lawyers can help.