Bair Hugger Blanket Linked to Death of 6-Year-Old Boy

Bair Hugger warming blanket blamed for the death of a 6-year-old boy in Pennsylvania who was left unattended.

Schmidt & Clark, LLP is No Longer Taking These Cases - If you feel that you may have a potential case, we urge you to contact another law firm adequately suited to handle your case.

A Pennsylvania hospital has been cited in the death of a 6-year-old boy whose temperature soared to 107 degrees while being treated with a Bair Hugger warming blanket.

 

What’s the problem?

August 25, 2017 – The boy, who was not identified, was brought to Penn State Hershey Medical Center in January with a below normal body temperature, according to FOX News.

According to a statement issued by the hospital, the boy had “ongoing, complex and life-limiting health issues,” and was treated with a Bair Hugger blanket, which raises a patient’s temperature through forced hot air.

The hospital acknowledged that a review of his chart revealed his temperature had not been recorded once over a 10-hour period.

“After spending the night in the E.D., his blood pressure dropped and his temperature rose to 107 degrees, prompting escalation to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit the following morning,” the statement read. “He died several hours later.”

“As a health system dedicated to providing the very best care to the most acutely ill and injured patients, we are deeply saddened that this death occurred and are taking action to prevent this type of event from ever occurring again,” the hospital said.

 

Awards & recognition