What’s the Problem?
More than 20 people have recently been hospitalized due to methanol poisoning, according to the Arizona Poison Drug and Information Center.
Most of the cases have occurred in Northeastern Arizona, and all involved people who drank hand sanitizer.
“The problem right now is that it’s a contaminant,” said Arizona Poison Drug & Information Center Director Steve Dudley. “So, you can read the label but it’s not going to be there because it’s not supposed to be in there.”
Exposure to methanol, also known as wood alcohol, has been linked to the following health effects:
- blurred vision
- permanent blindness
- permanent damage to the nervous system
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) on June 19, 2020, issued a warning to consumers not to use the following brands of sanitizers, all made by Esk Biochem SA de CV:
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
If you do have one of these items in your home, stop using them immediately and dispose of them, but don’t flush or pour the products down the drain, FDA said.
The Dangers of Methanol in Hand Sanitizers: WRCB News Video
Do I Have an All-Clean Hand Sanitizer Lawsuit?
The Product Liability Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in All-Clean Hand Sanitizer Lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new injury and death cases in all 50 states.
If you or a loved one has been injured by All-Clean Hand Sanitizer, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.